Thursday, January 3, 2013

2012 Totals

At the end of each year, I like to look back over my training logs and see how many miles and hours I spent swimming, biking and running. So here are the numbers for 2012:

Swim - 133.78 miles (83 hours and 32 minutes)
2:08/100yd avg.

Bike - 1614.7 miles (81 hours and 53 minutes)
19.7 mph avg.

Run - 607.6 miles (80 hours and 2 minutes)
7:54 min/mile avg.

Pretty balanced, huh? At first I thought that this was wrong. There is no way that I spent more time in the pool than I did on the bike or on the road...but it's true! When I look at the numbers a little closer, I didn't spend more time swimming, I spent less time riding. I was on my bike 75 hours less in 2012 than I was in 2011. With my racing season consisting of only Sprint and Olympic distance races, I had no need for the long 80-100 mile rides that I did while training for Ironman in 2011.

That being said, I felt that my bike power and speed regressed this year. I wasn't really sure why, but now I have a pretty good idea. I've purchased a power meter and I'm looking forward to incorporating that into my bike training for 2013 and can't wait to make some big improvements!

Here are my historical trends from the last four years:


While volume is not the key to improvement, I can see from these charts that my time in the saddle took a major hit in 2012. It wasn't done on purpose, but I know that my longest ride all year was around 40 miles. I was doing lots of short (45-60 minute) workouts with sprint and hill intervals. This type of training wasn't easy, but I think time on the bike goes a long way and it was something that I need to increase in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This