Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Enjoying The Offseason

As of the moment I crossed the finish line a week and a half ago at the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon, I officially started my offseason. I might do some short running races between now and the spring, but my training for next season won't officially start until the end of December.

So I'm trying to enjoy my offseason. It's hard for me to do. I understand that resting your body in the offseason is key to having a successful and injury free race season. I've been limiting my workouts to some short runs and weights lately, but I'm feeling weird.

Over the last two years my body has become accustom to being in shape and eating well. With both of these starting to slack, I'm getting the feeling of being a little "off". My heart rate is higher on my runs and the pace doesn't come easy. I feel tired more often and I've even put on about 6-8 pounds in the last 11 days. I'm really trying to take it easy and let me body rest, but I'm not sure if I can do this for another month!!

MONDAY'S WORKOUT:
Run
Progression Run
The object of this run is to start out at a comfortable pace and at set intervals (every mile in this case), increase the speed. Here are my mile splits:
Mile 1 - 7:53 min/mile pace
Mile 1 - 7:47 min/mile pace
Mile 1 - 7:33 min/mile pace
Mile 1 - 7:18 min/mile pace
Mile 1 - 7:14 min/mile pace
Total Workout: 4.82 miles in 36:27 (7:34 pace)
Avg HR = 159, Max HR = 174


TODAY'S WORKOUT:
Run
Workout: 6.05 miles in 47:13 (7:48 min/mile pace)
I always try to squeeze in a run when I'm traveling for work. I was able to run 6 miles along Lake Michigan in Chicago this morning. They have a great path called the "Lakeshore Trail" that starts in Millenium Park and heads south along the lake. I ran past Shedd Aquarium, Soldier Field and the Natural History Museum...pretty cool run! I took it easy and didn't push it until the last mile or so. Good workout and the weather even cooperated. 42° F, but hardly and wind - which is unusual here. Snapped a pic with my phone (awesome view of the sunrise on the lake):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This