Friday, July 16, 2010

Cardinal Harbour Triathlon Preview


So tomorrow morning I will tackle my second half-Ironman triathlon (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run). Literally months of preparation comes to a close as I enter the mighty Ohio River around 8:00 am. I'm feeling confident and yet nervous at the same time. I've done all I can to prepare, so at this point I just have to make sure I pack all my gear correctly tonight and get a good night's sleep.

My goal is to finish under 5:57:38 (my Taylorsville half-Ironman time).

I feel more prepared now than I did then, but who knows. That swim was in a nice, relatively calm lake...the swim tomorrow will be in the Ohio River. The water temperature should be in the 80's, so there's no need for a wetsuit, but what factor will the current play? Will I have to swim around any floating debris? Bodies?

The bike route is pretty hilly, but with a total elevation change of 2244 feet, it's still less than the 2750 feet of change on the Taylorsville route. Hopefully I can improve on my bike time of 2:56:08 (19.1 mph), I'm shooting for a pace of 19.5 mph, which would put me at 2:52:20 on the bike.

The run course is fairly flat and should have some shade, so I'm also expecting to improve on my Taylorsville run time of 2:10:33. Anything under 2 hours would be great!

I've been loading up on complex carbohydrates the last few days and I really appreciate my wife putting up with my eating habits this week. She's done a fantastic job fixing things for dinner the coincide with what I need to be eating each day. Thanks for all the support babe, you're the best!!

TODAY'S WORKOUT:
Just a quick little brick session to get the heart and legs pumping.
Bike - 15 minute on the indoor bike at the gym at race pace
2:04 transition out to the parking lot
Run - 1.23 miles in 8:31 (6:55 min/mile pace)
Total workout: 23:57

Now it's time to eat a small dinner and get my gear together for the morning...I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

1 comment:

  1. Just been wondering...are you training for the Olympics? Sure wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete

Share This