Friday, May 21, 2010

Transition Phase

If you follow my blog, you know that over the last seven or so months, I've worked through several phases of training leading up to my race last weekend. It started off with the Prep Phase, then several levels of Base Phase, followed by several levels of Build Phase, then Peak Phase and finally Race Week Phase.

The week after race week (this week) is known as Transition Phase. This is an unstructured period that is meant to recharge your mental and physical batteries. No serious training this week. It's just a week to take it easy and let the body recover and get ready to start back up next week. I've done a few easy workouts this week (45 minute spin class on Tuesday, 1.3 mile run last night with the baby stroller, and a 10 minute swim this morning).

I feel rested and ready to get back into Base building starting next week...but not before I enjoy a weekend of concerts and cookouts!

Something else that I wanted to mention is that according to resent studies, there were 1.2 million triathlon participants in 2009. This represents a growth of 11.1% over 2008 and a staggering 51.4% growth over 2007!

According to the USA Triathlon stats, of this 1.2 million, 694,000 are "core" triathlon participants. They defined "core" as someone that competed in at least two races.

I'm glad to see the sport growing. This growth has spawned two triathlons related stores (one in Louisville and one in Lexington). Just two years ago when I started doing triathlons, I had to order all of my gear online. It's nice to be able to go in a store and shop for equipment now!!

If you like to run, bike, or swim, I suggest you find a sprint triathlon this summer or fall and get started training. WARNING - it's addictive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This